Pound Cake Perfection using Baker’s Formula
Achieve pound cake perfection by understanding the ingredients and mixing methods of cake batter-or just get a really great pound cake recipe.
Pound Cake Perfection using Baker's Formula
Author: Baking Sense
- 8 oz (1 ¾ cups, 225 g) cake flour (100%) See Note #1
- ¼ teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 10 oz (1¼ cups, 285 g) granulated sugar (125%)
- 9 oz unsalted butter (1 cup plus 2 tablespoons, 255 g) room temp (112%)
- 4 large eggs plus 3 yolks, room temperature (about 9 oz, 255 g) (112%)
- 2 oz whole milk (1/4 cup, 60 ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to at 350°F.
- Combine the eggs, vanilla and half the milk in a small bowl, whisk to combine and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, salt and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar to the flour and mix at low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add the butter to the flour and mix until combined. Add the other ½ of the milk and increase the speed to medium high. Mix for a full 2-3 minutes. The batter will lighten in color and texture.
- Scrape the bowl and paddle thoroughly.
- On low speed, add the egg mixture in 3 increments, scraping the bowl after each addition.
- Pour the batter into a buttered and floured 9”x5” loaf pan or 12 cup Bundt pan .
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean (about 55 minutes).
- #1 The percentages listed for each ingredient represent the baker's formula percentage. Flour is set at 100% and the percentages listed for the other ingredients are in relation to the weight of the flour.
← Previous Story Hummingbird Cake